China, Saudi, Turkey like to create international standard hospitals in Bangladesh

19 Nov 2020 9:47 AM
Image: Collected
China, Turkey and Saudi Arabia own expressed their willingness to determine international standard hospitals in Bangladesh on the model of Singapore’s Mount Elizabeth Hospital and Thailand’s Bumrungrad Hospital.

The countries have delivered proposals to Bangladesh in this regard and sought terrain because of their respective projects in the adjacent area of Dhaka.

China is willing to establish hospitals found in divisional and district towns if area is not obtainable in Dhaka’s vicinity, but Turkey and Saudi sought lands near Dhaka.

It is yet to get confirmed just how many hospitals would be constructed or perhaps if the Bangladesh government can give them land.

The three countries, within their respective proposals, said they have sent the proposals remember a wide array of Bangladeshi patients who go abroad every year for treatment. They delivered the proposals through the prevalence of coronavirus.

Confirming the problem, officials from medical ministry and Bangladesh Expenditure Development Authority (BIDA) explained the government is currently assessing the proposals.

BIDA executive chairman Sirazul Islam told Prothom Alo, “Bangladesh has longstanding relations with Turkey. They possess shown their interest in constructing a hospital in Bangladesh as they want to fortify the bilateral ties. Engineering Dimension of Saudi Arabia and China Machinery Engineering Corporation (CMEC) of China have sent distinct proposals to build hospitals in Bangladesh. We’ve forwarded the proposals to medical ministry.”

CMEC China’s proposal said they want to construct one hospital each at a divisional or perhaps district level. They want to construct hospitals with 50 thousand beds in total in Bangladesh. They want to construct hospitals on the lines of Mount Elizabeth and Bumrungrad hospitals.

Treatment costs within their hospitals would be much less compared to the international standard hospitals, the China CMEC’s proposal said.

An inter-ministerial meeting was held in Bangladesh Secretariat on 20 October which discussed the feasibility of Chinese company’s proposal at length
The proposed hospitals would be fully online. A total of 70 per cent physicians and nurses would be recruited from Bangladesh as the remaining 30 % would be extracted from overseas, the proposal explained adding that they might establish a training institute for doctors, nurses and technicians.

We have discussed the proposal of CMEC China. The proposal wants further research. We will need detailed information from their website
Saidur Rahman, additional secretary
CMEC thinks that the amount of outbound clients from Bangladesh would lower if international normal hospitals are established in the united states.

An inter-ministerial meeting happened in Bangladesh Secretariat on 20 October which discussed the feasibility of Chinese company’s proposal at length.

Saidur Rahman, additional secretary of wellbeing services division of the health ministry, told Prothom Alo, “We've discussed the proposal of CMEC China. The proposal necessities further review. We will need detailed information from them.”

Primary minister’s principal secretary Ahmed Kaikaus, at a program in the town recently said around Tk 300 billion flies out of the region as medical expenses annually. This huge amount of money would have remained in Bangladesh if the health care system were of top quality.

According to several estimations, around 250,000-300,000 Bangladeshi individuals travel abroad to get treatment each year. A big chunk of these patients go to India.

BIDA’s executive chairman Sirazul Islam said, “The proposals from 3 countries are a chance for us but we've shortage of land.”